Wednesday, January 11, 2012

A spontaneous idea that turned out to be one of the greatest days in Peru

Yesterday was my amazing Dad's birthday! I wish I could have spent it with him in the United States....BUT...since I couldn't I have a dear friend whose birthday was also yesterday, so I celebrated with her in Peru. This friend has had a rough life and until last year when we celebrated her birthday together no one has ever really done anything for her birthday in all of her life. Yesterday she turned 25. I called her yesterday to see what she was doing and she said she was just laying in bed. I called her to see if she wanted to go out with me to the movies and to eat for her birthday. She said YES! I was so excited. Then I decided that I wanted to surprise her and instead of just doing that have people over at the house for a surprise birthday party. I started calling everyone in our Bible study group to come over! It turns out all of them came except 3. I called my friend Carlos and he went with me to buy a pinata, a cake, and decorations!! We had to do it all in an hour and a half time span. We then decorated the house in pink and purple, filled the pinata, and blew up many balloons. Then we waited. Since this is Peru, she showed up 2 hours late, but that was okay. While we waited we played chicken foot! So much fun. I have been teaching Peruvians American games, and they love them! She was super surprised, she never expected a surprise party. We sang Happy Birthday, ate delicious cake, and hit the Pinata until it broke. It is hilarious watching adults get into a pinata and then go crazy like kids trying to pick up the candy! Hilarious. Then we all went to watch Alvin and the chipmunks at a movie theater that is about 40 minutes away! It was HILARIOUS! Totally recommend it and very clean! Then we ate at pizza hut. It was so much fun. There was so much laughter and joy! One time, I was laughing so hard, I couldn't stop and couldn't speak for at least 2 minutes. Also, all the girls did the suitcase dance in front of this huge food court! It was a BLAST! Glory to God for great ideas at the last minute and great friends to share them with. God really has given me a group of Peruvian friends here and I am so thankful for that. I can not post the pictures of the birthday girl or most of the other guests for confidentiality reasons, but the pictures I can post are below. :)


The way to hang a pinata in a house...someone hold it.

Carlos excited about his candy!

In the back of the taxi being goofy...on the way to the movies!

No comments:

Post a Comment