Tuesday, January 3, 2012

New Years in Peru

My neighbors at the beach.
This was my first New Years in Peru without my family. Last year, my family was here for New Years day which was super fun. I wasn't quite sure what to do. My neighbor friends invited me to come watch how they make a dish called Pachamanca. They make it using flaming hot rocks and then cover the food for an hour with dirt. The dirt obviously is not touching the food but it covers it to keep the heat in. It was so neat to watch them do this. They then brought some over to my house later! It was delcious! After that, a friend and I went and ate a local neighborhood restaurant. I ate Lomo Saltado which was delicous. Then another friend came over and at midnight we went on the roof to watch the fireworks again! It was incredible! Then more Peruvians came over to the house and we played Yahtzee! It was so much fun. Then we watched the movie Soul Surfer. What a great testimony of God's faithfulness. If you have not seen it, rent it. The Peruvians loved it. We finally went to sleep again in the living room around 5 am. The next day a group of us went to a beautiful BEACH! It was so much fun. It was great being in God's creation and feeling the heat of the beautiful sun! We invited 2 little 12 year old boys from our neighborhood to go with us, they had a blast! On the way home we went to McDonalds which is always a special treat. It was a GREAT New Years.
Fireworks
On the roof watching fireworks.

No comments:

Post a Comment