Monday, January 9, 2012

Addictions


We had an interesting adventure this Past Wednesday, Nicchola, another new believer, Fernando, and I went on an adventure to find a Christian rehab center for addictions. Fernando became a Christian about 6 months ago, but he has been addicted to various things for about 15 years. He had told me that he wanted to find a rehab place, so we went looking for one. The first place we went that we were recommended, we went to and come to find out they really are not a true Christian organization. They are teaching a false gospel. Also, the lady in front of Fernando as if he was not there was saying addicts are manipulators, always give excuses, etc. That did not sit too well with him or with me for that matter. It was like there was already a perceived assumption about him before they even knew him. Although, I am sure she has had many experience with people like that, it was not a very good start off with Fernando. Anyway, we were already far from my house, so we decided to go to an internet place and look up rehab places online. Through a series of miscommunications we ended up one place earlier than our appointment, and they were not there. So we decided to go to the other place and then maybe come back to this one. We went to a place that was called fountain of living water to find out that is not a Christian place at all. All there therapy is just based on science and not anything with Jesus. The director could not seem to understand that I am okay with different proved addiction therapies but I strongly they believe they must be paired with Jesus. He is the true Healer and the ONLY ONE that can give us the power to overcome things in our life. Anyway, I left there feeling pretty discouraged. Fernando left feeling encouraged because this man seemed to really understand addictions, but this man didn’t understand having a relationship with Jesus. Alex seemed to think he would be fine there and just grow on his own in his faith. I was not okay with that solution. We called back the other place and they said they would wait for us until 8 pm. I was impressed with that answer. We entered in and sat down and had a conversation with a lady named Gabriella. I was going to get straight to the point this time. I wanted to know what they believed up front instead of wasting more time. I asked her if they were a Christian place and she said they were an open place. I was like oh my word…not again. What she was meaning, is you do not have to be a Christian to go there. I asked her what she believed. She said we believe in a high power, like the wind you can feel it but cannot see it.…and talked more about that. I was thinking to myself are we ever going to find the right place? She said and that higher power is God. I was like okay we are finally getting somewhere. I asked her what you have to do to be saved. She said believe in Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I was like AMEN! I was so excited. Come to find out she has been working with addicts for 18 years, and she became a Christian 11 years ago. She changed her whole program to use what she had learned about addicts but to be coupled alongside the scripture and putting Jesus all throughout the whole treatment plan! I was excited beyond belief! She said that they had Christian psychologists, and they worked with the entire mind, body, spirit. The patients had to read the Bible every day, and they had worship services every Saturday. Then they showed us pictures of the house that the men stay at. It is on the beach! It is beautiful. It used to be a hotel/ restaurant. They have a pool, the ocean, and looks like a place with great opportunities. She so happens to be the director of the entire program! She said it is coincidence that we found her there that day because normally she is on site with the patients. I told her this is not coincidence but God’s providence. We all left that place feeling like God had shown us that was the place. This place was truly a Christian place that mixed our faith with practical things to help an addict. Please pray for Fernando that he will make the right decision and know exactly when to go and that Satan will not try to put doubts in his mind to not go there. Also, please pray that financially this possibility can become a reality. All glory to God, He always brings us to the place that we need to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment