Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Promociones!!! (graduations)

Well this Christmas season mixed in with all of the Christmas events, I have also been the godmother for several kids for their graduation. In Peru, for every major event in someone's life, they have godparents to help with the cost of the events. Anyway, I was the Godmother for a boy named Joel for his 6th grade graduation in Huaral and went to also support our good friend Christina who John was the godfather for. I was the Godmother in Puente Piedra for a little boy in the 6th grade named Christopher. And last but not least I had the wonderful privalege of being the godmother for 3 girls graduating from high school in the Community (the orphanage I used to live in).

        Each ceremony was quite interesting. The first one started about 2 1/2 hours late. Everyone was in like sweat pants and tshirts that attended and I was in a dress. I was WAY over dressed. I also fell down twice within 30 minutes because the floor was so slick and my shoes had no tracking. It was so embarrassing. People were totally making fun of me, they definitely had reason too! The second one started about 2 hours late and once again I came in a dress and I was way UNDER dressed. Everyone was in prom dresses and suits. I never really know how to do things here. It always on a live and learn basis. The 6th grade boy had to teach me how to dance with him. He said Lauren watch my feet.

         My favorite graduation ceremony was the high school one in the Community. There were 56 graduates and I knew almost all of them because I had lived with them the year before. It was so special seeing those kids graduate. I was able to give each one of them a watch because of ministry money with a  letter talking about God's timing and was able to share the gospel in the letter. During the ceremony, I actually gave them their gifts. With my Goddaughters, the day before I took them shopping for their graduation clothes and we went out to eat together. It was a very sweet time. I was so thankful to get to be at that ceremony and get to see kids once again whom I dearly love. My "son" also graduated. It was so great to see him! God is so good!


My godson Joel in Huaral
His cousin Christina who is a part of our Bible study in Huaral
My godson Christopher in his 6th grade graduation. He had to teach me how to dance!
Christopher and Christian, twin brothers.
The watches for the girls in the Community.
The watches for the boys in the community.
I didn't mean for this to happen, but they ended up looking like diplomas, wrapped around each watch is a letter sharing the gospel.
Taking my goddaughters from the Community shopping for their graduation clothes and out to eat!
The 56 graduating seniors from the Community! Love those kids!
My 3 goddaughters on graduation night!
Friends!
My "older son" graduating from high school!
Teacher friends dancing!

No comments:

Post a Comment