Saturday, February 16, 2013

Visitas!!!!

I had the awesome of privilege of seeing my cousin, Jeanette Dickerson, Lourdes, and Julie from FBC Mansfield. They were coming to work in a mountain town in Peru, but we got to meet up with them in Lima for a day and go out to lunch and do some sight seeing with them. It was cool to get to see them again. FBC Mansfield has a mission trip planned in June to come work with us which we are excited about!!! We have seen SO much fruit from the work that FBC Mansfield did 2 years ago, and we are excited to see what God will do with them again! 
Profesora Balyeat planned a tourist trip to Machu Pichu and  lake Titticaca for the Spanish department at DBU. I was not able to join them for the trip, but I did get to meet up with them in Lima for the afternoon. Profesora Balyeat was such an encouragement to me as a missionary. She was a missionary in Argentina for 10 years, and she just encouraged me so much with the insights she had about Peru from visiting that week. I had her for my last semester of my Spanish minor, and it was so good to get to see her 3 years later here in Peru! 
So good to be reunited again with fellow DBU students.  I was even reunited with one  of my fellow classmates all the way back from the Spanish class days! 
Profesor Baldor and his wife Beth. He is the reason I have a passion for the Spanish language. I had his class for 6 semesters in a row. He made me love the language when I had hated it in high school. He had so much patience and grace with me, even though I was such a terrible student. He did so much for me in college as a student and just as a good friend, and he continues to support me here in my work in Peru. He and his wife even came down on a mission trip to work with me here in Peru two years ago. He tells his students about how they can be involved down here etc. He is the professor that made the most impact in my life during my whole DBU experience. It would be an understatement to say that it blessed my life to see him in Peru again, even if it was just for one afternoon. 
Oh, you know just eating churros with Spanish professors from DBU. No big deal...... 
Mary Hardin Baylor Crew. Through a mutual friend of my grandparents, I was able to meet up with  Mary Hardin Baylor while they were in Peru. I took them around for a day of sight seeing and got to meet such a great group of students. It was such a blessing to my life. We got to talking, and it turned out that they were going to have to spend a whole night in the airport, so Jessi and I invited them to our house for the last night they were going to be in Peru. We pulled out mattresses from all over for them to be able to sleep, and we were able to play nertz, hang out, and they got a little bit of sleep until they left at 3:30 am for their flight. 
Making maracuya juice
Just chilling on the rooftop, checking out the city of Ventanilla
Jessi's mom and aunt came to visit! Wow, they were such a blessing! Talk about two great women. They are just so humble and joyful! The most joyful people I have ever met! You never hear either one of them talk bad or complain about anything. Now, I know why Jessi is so awesome. I had a great time getting to take them to some of our Bible studies and hang out in Lima for a day with them. 
Jessi and Darla in the back of a rickety old truck on a dirt Peruvian  road moving furniture to Jessi's room. 
Jessi and I in Lima hanging out with her family when we saw 2 gangsta looking kids and asked them if we could take a picture with them because I love gangster kids!!! I still miss the hood in the states! 

No comments:

Post a Comment