Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A birthday party for a sweet 81 year old woman


We had the beautiful privilege of celebrating our neighbor’s 81st birthday. Senora Eliza regularly comes to our Bible study in the street. She is such a precious lady. She told me that she would not be here for actual birthday, so we had decided to celebrate a different day. When I went to her house to ask her, how her birthday was the day after. She said, “My birthday, I didn’t even know it had passed. I just knew it was April 14th, but I didn’t know it had actually happened.” She hadn’t done anything for her birthday and no one had remembered to tell her happy birthday. Her grown son lives with her and her brother lives on the same street and no one had wished her a happy birthday. This hurt my heart. It really is so true here that people are truly forgotten about. I have hope though, because I know that God does not forget about his creation, and he continues to pursue each and every one of us to have a relationship with him, to be adopted into his family. The next day the entire Bible study came up to my house and we all celebrated her birthday and ate cake. It was beautiful to watch. I believe this may have been one of the first times in more than 80 years that someone has celebrated her birthday. 


No comments:

Post a Comment