Saturday, May 21, 2011

A humble reminder

So, today I am feeling a little down and discouraged for a number of pity, materialistic, and physical reasons. I really have no reason to be discouraged because our Lord is worthy to be praised, and He is always faithful. Anyway, yesterday I decided I would get my haircut in Peru. I had many recomendations that this guy was a great hair sylist including from an American. He was very pricey and his shop looked very professional, so I went against my gut instinct about not getting my haircut in Peru and decided to do it. Worst haircut decision of my life. So, I was trying to get my haircut in a bob cut with a few layers in the back, the man did not know how to do layers. When we asked him to cut it into layers in the back, he cut holes in my hair literally and had these uneven chunks in the back. I should have just left it like that, but I had the bright idea that i would go to a better place to get it fixed. Granted at this point in time it was already shorter than my chin because he had cut so much off the back trying to do layers he then had to cut more off the front. The guy at the next professional place which was inside a very rich supermarket and had Loreal products everywhere assured me he could help me. LIE! He began to cut off more and make it look even worse. Then the sweetest lady came over who was like the receptionist and gave the guy giving me a haircut a lecture. She basically was like what are you doing, but of course he said I came in looking like this. He had done his own amount of damage but of course would not admit to that. By the grace of God, she had him switch to cut another person´s hair. By this time, I was balling, the lady had already brought over a role of toilet paper and a glass of water. Later, I found out she was a Christian! Anyway, the fourth time to cut my hair, the guy named Jose actually knew what he was doing, but because their were so much uneveness and holes in my hair, he had to like do a shave thing in the back that looks like a guy. I honestly look just like a man, napeoleon dynamite if that gives you any mental images. If you know me well, you know I do not care at all about looks, most of my life, I have looked like a tomboy just because I do not care, but I am telling you it is horrible. I really look like a man. I found myself so discouraged yesterday and today and crying so much. I opened the Word and read some Psalms and Proverbs 31 which reminded me of what is of true importance.

Charm is deceptive, and beauty if fleeting but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. Proverbs 31, 30

Once again God brought to my mind, how fortunate I am. People all over the world are born with defects or have cancer and have to loose their hair for treatment, can´t walk, are old women beggars that look like men because they do not have the money to take care of themselves, and I am just freaking about a simple man haircut that soon will grow out and be fine again. This has really made me think about the things that are important in life. I have so much to be grateful for and this is just such a minor thing. God has blessed me with an incredible opportunity to live in Peru and share his love with people all over this country. He has provided in every way possible. This has been a good lesson for me to realize what I have, and how I really need to reach out to those that are physically suffering or going through trials. More than just physical suffering in Peru, which there is a ton of, there are tons of people here that do not know the Savior Jesus Christ, and that is really what I need to be focused on. Thanks for listening to me vent about having a man haircut, but please be reminded along with me that we are so blessed. Our true focus should be following the Lord with all of our heart and sharing His love with the world around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment