Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Birthday parties, update on Fernando, and other miscellaneous things!

We have had so many birthdays lately from people in our discipleship group. In August there were 3 birthdays so we have been busy celebrating. For Milagros' birthday we all went to Burger King in the mall and then to the movies. One of our friends that went with us had not been to the movies in over 20 years. It was a fun night and special treat. For another friends birthday that (I can mention his real name so I will call him Peter) , we cooked a gigantic brunch and ate together and then had Dominoes after our Bible study at night and watched a movie together. For Fernando's birthday, we had a pollo a la brasa lunch and then celebrated again a few days later with Peter since there birthday were in the same week and hung out and ate snacks and made "music videos." It was so much fun. That was probably one of the funnest nights I have ever had in Peru. I truly was having fun. It wasn't ministry but just fun with friends. I realized in that moment that I do have good friends here, and it is not just me having to pour out all the time. That night really blessed my life because I felt like I was having the kind of fun I would with some of my close friends back home. It just showed me that this is home, which felt so great to experience!

Speaking of Fernando, he is doing amazing! We decided after him being in the rehab center for 6 months he was ready to leave. He has been doing out patient rehab this past month. He has started a house church in his house and 10 adults are coming to it. He is a super gifted teacher and is now studying in an institute seminary type thing every Monday night. He is getting baptized at the end of this month! He is helping us the majority of the week in our Bible studies. He has been sober now for 8 months from alcohol and gambling. The Lord has done an amazing work in his life! All glory to Him. Thanks to those of you who have been praying for him and wanted to give a special thanks to my dear best friend who has been helping financially with his treatment! God works all things together. It has been so neat to see the fruit of the Lord in his life. God called me to share the gospel to Fernando (my waiter in a restaurant), he became a Christian a few weeks later, got Christian help to fight his addictions, and now is leading a house church! All Glory to God!

Another cool thing. Nicchola is my Peruvian missionary teammate that works with me. His brother is paralyzed from the waist down and is in a wheel chair. His brother had been living in a junk car for the past 6 months. It has been on Nicchola's heart to move him out to Ventanilla so he could not live in his car and he could be close to the Bible studies that go on here. The problem was finding a first room floor to rent, everything is 2nd floor and up normally to rent. Nicchola had been looking for weeks for a room for him. God is so cool. About a year and a half ago, when I was looking for a place to rent, I went to this one  place that was a room with a bathroom inside it on the first floor. The Lord brought this place to my mind and it has to be only from the Lord because I was able to find it again. If you know me, you know that I am directionally challenged, and that was a huge miracle in itself. It was available and Victor, Nicchola's brother was able to move in that week. Thanks to people who generously give towards ministry things here in Peru, I was able to use that money for his month of rent and to buy him a bed and dresser etc. He has been faithfully coming to Bible study, and I have just gotten to get to know him and hang out with him. It has been such a joy having him live only 2 blocks away. Please pray that he can find a job here. In the States, we are so blessed to have different jobs for the disabled and different ways the government helps. Here there is no help for the disabled. Right now Nicchola is currently supporting his brother on a missionary's salary, and he really can't do that much longer. Please pray that soon that Victor will come to know Christ as his Savior!

Below are some pics of some of the birthday celebrations and other random things that have gone on recently.
Inka Kola toast on July 28th - Peruvian Independence day after a long day of teaching Bible study
Yep, I made some good ole' Tacos for some of my Peruvian friends.
Mili and I celebrating her birthday!
Yep, you saw it right. We have Popeyes now in Peru! I have been about 5 times in the past 3 months! It is amazing! Only fast food restaurant in all of Peru that has chicken tenders. The cool thing is the first one opened up about an 1 1/2 hours away from me and another one just opened up only 30 minutes away! God is way too gracious to me!
My sweet friends Delana and Bryan who are missionaries in the jungle. This is their precious new baby Eva. I got to see them one last time in Lima in June before they headed back to the jungle. Oh yeah and we ate Popeyes together as well. 
Celebrating Fernando's 30th birthday!






No comments:

Post a Comment