Thursday, September 5, 2013

Abundant Blessings

       Wow, can I just first say our God is so good. He really does give his children not only eternal life but abundant life. Friday, was such a beautiful night for me. We were able to go visit one of our neighbor’s extended family who was having some issues with her teenage son. We had a beautiful time of fellowship. Not only were we able to talk to the family about the issues going on, we were able to spend time with them. I was probably more blessed than they were. We all ate a meal together and just spent so much time laughing together. There were a ton of us all crowded around this small kitchen, eating chicken, and laughing. We even did the suitcase dance!!! (For those of you who know me well, you know what I am talking about) I heard a comment from one of the ladies like, “I laughed tonight.” It was such a joyous time. Come to find out, the food that was leftover was  a miracle from the Lord because this family didn't have anything to eat the next day, and with the leftovers she was able to send lunch to work with her husband.
Bradley found his "daughter" at this house visit. It was love at first sight for both of them!
        Then Saturday was another beautiful day, getting to do Bible study with so many different people. We were able to split into two teams and get so much accomplished. We even got to teach some teenage boys how to play spoons. They loved it. We played it of course with whatever they had in their pockets, some had spoons, some had markers, or pencils. It was so fun.
Then Sunday was just a blessing over and over again. We went out to do house visits on Sunday morning. We went to visit a lady that lives up the hill from us. She has 4 kids; one of her kids has epilepsy, is mentally handicapped, and is in a wheel chair. Come to find out the mom had to go on a trip to see a family member in the mountains that had experienced an accident. The aunt was watching the handicapped son and the older brother, along with her daughter. They were out of food, out of medicine for the boy, and as we were there, she asked her daughter to bring her toilet paper to clean up the boy, and the daughter replied back that they didn't have any left. God is so good and led us to the perfect house at just the perfect time.  That morning, I had asked God that He would show us exactly where we should do house visits. After prayer time, Nicchola and I both had the exact same house visits on her mind. That never happens, so I know it had to be the Holy Spirit.

         So, we left their house and went on a shopping spree for their family! It was SO much fun. We just loaded the cart up and got so many things. I just love how God always provides the resources to help those in need. I am not sure if they were excited when we brought the things to their house or maybe they were just in shock. Then on Sunday afternoon, I was a little bummed because hardly anyone was at Bible study, and the lesson was on the crucifixion. By the time we started we had 19 people there, but as the afternoon went on when we were playing soccer there were people all over the street. The family we visited on Friday night came. ALL OF THEM (including the dad and the uncle – which hardly ever happens in this culture). They missed Bible study but were able to go to discipleship. We had 29 people at discipleship not including us gringos. It was AMAZING. The lesson for discipleship was also about the crucifixion. It was great because all of our regulars were there, and then we had several new people. That is the most we have ever had for discipleship. All glory to God.

      Then on Monday, we had the huge blessing of having Nancy Lane and Ronald Santillan come out and visit us. For those of you who don’t know, Nancy is one of my closest friends and my teammate that I worked with for the first 1 ½ in Ventanilla. The things we experience together only God knows. She and I walked through some of the most difficult times together learning the language, adjusting to a new country, having all kinds of physical problems, being first year teachers in another language etc. Nancy moved  to a team in Chorillos in the fall of 2011, and this was the first time she has come back to visit. It was so great having here; she also brought her fiance Ronald to visit. I love Nancy, and I have come to love Ronald as well. He is the perfect guy for her, and I am beyond thrilled that they will be getting married next month. While they were here, we were able to talk, play games, eat good food, and have an amazing time of ENGLISH worship which never happens. I am so thankful for that precious 24 hours that we were able to have together.

Nancy brought me a homemade funfetti cake! Funfetti cake is my favorite. 
Then on Wednesday, we went to Huaral like we do every Wednesday, but I just had so much fun. It was so cool seeing how God worked. The lesson was over the resurrection with the adults and the children. In the adult Bible study, I was just in awe and amazed at the things God taught us. I didn't even really know what points we were going to focus on, even though I had studied the lesson, nothing was coming to me before I got there. Then when I got there the Holy Spirit just began to move and to speak for me. I know it was not me…….it was definitely HIM. (I am not a teacher). Then we got to have a great time with the kids, teaching them about the resurrection, acting it out, and playing soccer and jumping rope. Then we ended off the night with a good Bible study in Ancon. The blessings that God is pouring out on us right now are just blowing me away. I am so enjoying it and just soaking it in like a sponge. My God is so good. Enjoy his abundant blessings in your life this week and thank Him for them! 
Doing the verse game.
Acting out the resurrection story.

Peruvian Christian helping at Bible study!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Lauren, it is wonderful and encouraging to hear of the great things the Lord is doing in Peru. Can't wait to get there in a couple of months!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear how things are going now! I miss you and everyone else there! Sure would be nice to be on Peru now rather than studying every day off my life :/ keep up the good work! love you girl!

    ReplyDelete